The Sound of Rindik ( English)

I was tired. I had visited Prambanan, Borobudur, Ratu Boko, Mount Merapi and Mangunan in just three days. Walking up and down the stone stairs of the temples at UNESCO World Heritage Sites and ancient ruins of what was once a palace had started hurting my knees. The jeep ride to Merapi volcano that erupted few years ago had humbled my body and mind. The pretty photobooths at Mangunan forests were gram worthy. The vast green spaces were refreshing. The open minded and warm hearted conversations with strangers were uplifting. I could go home after that. But I didn’t.

I had booked my flight tickets and hotel for Bali. The original plan was to spend three days at a resort in Ubud and two days at a beach hotel in Kuta. But I didn’t feel like changing hotels unpacking and packing my stuff all over again. I wanted to stay in one place. I needed rest.

I am glad that I felt so. A volcanic Tsunami suddenly struck shores between Sumatra and Java islands. Alerts were issued to avoid going to any of the beaches on the other islands as well. Ubud being in the centre of Bali was safer. I spent next two days having a laid back time exploring the swimming pool, spa and restaurant at the resort.

But soon boredom crept in. I wanted to learn Bahasa Indonesia. But there weren’t any short workshops available. I had seen the Monkey forest. I didn’t have the energy to learn Balinese dance due to fatigue. I had already done Yoga classes, Reiki, Chakra Journey and Art of Living in India.

Pondok Pekak Library and Learning Centre, I discovered accidentally while looking for places to eat. They had classes on wood carving, playing a musical instrument, kite making and other such activities of cultural significance.

I reached there in the afternoon. I was hungry. A wood carving class had just finished. Nothing was scheduled for next few hours. But the kind souls took pity on me and arranged a music class which would start in half an hour. I immediately registered for it. To my delight, my registration fee included lunch and a drink. Over the next 15 minutes my lunch was ready. Soon thereafter my teacher arrived.

Parman was the name of my teacher. He was a kind, gentle looking, patient man with a pleasant demeanor. He showed me the area where musical instruments were kept. On the elevated platform rested a few red and golden pieces of wooden bed tray like structures, flanked by red umbrellas with long handles fixed on the ground and red drapes hung from the ceiling in the background. It looked like a place of worship. I thought it was a temple.

We sat in front of instruments called Rindik. It’s a bamboo xylophone from which music is created by striking its tubes with a mallet. I held one mallet in left hand and one in right. He began to teach me a melody from the composition Gilak Dung. Its a composition that strengthens and protects. I struck one tube twice with left hand and two different tubes simultaneously with the right hand. This was repeated for next set of tubes. Once I got a hang of the pattern I got the music playing. I had heard Gamelan at Sultan Palace in Yogyakarta. It was an orchestra of traditional instruments that played music during religious occasions and important ceremonies. The music was deeply resonating and brought me to a stand still. But playing one of those instruments would be this tough, I realized later.

Parman asked “Where are you from in India? I have been to Delhi and Raipur”. Did he say Raipur? Was he there on 1st Nov? He said he was! He had gone for a performance. I told him “I am from Raipur!” He was amazed. He had gone for the foundation day celebration of the State of Chhattisgarh of which Raipur is the capital.

We continued to strike mallets on Rindik to create music. Meanwhile the sound of Rindik continued to strike conversations that created connections. The connections that feed the soul of universe, the way music feeds a human soul. I was tired no more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Form 2B for Contesting Elections to the Vidhan Sabha (Legislative Assembly)

How to Contest Vidhan Sabha Elections : A Beginner's Guide

Keynote Speaker for an STTP on Women, Technology and Empowerment at NIT Raipur